The other day I got some fabulous eggplants from the farmer’s market and I started craving eggplant parmigiana right away. I also had some mince meat in the fridge so I thought combining the two would make a really nice dinner. The result is a filling dish with an incredible mixture of flavours, it keeps well in the fridge for a few days and it seems to taste even better each day. Such a nice dish to use in your meal prep since making a large amount of it is easy and it tastes good when it’s cold too. I love it with a simple green salad on the side.
- 3 medium sized eggplants
- 2 onions chopped
- 5 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 8-10 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 lb mince meat
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice eggplants into ½ inch slices lengthways. Sprinkle with salt and let them sit for 15-20 minutes.
- In a skillet, add fat of your choice and add the mince meat. Cook for about 10 minutes until cooked through.
- In a saucepan add olive oil and cook the onions and garlic until soft.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender and add to the onions and garlic. When it reaches a boil add salt, pepper, basil, balsamic vinegar and paprika. Stir well. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the beef and incorporate well into the sauce.
- Let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Place eggplants in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a greased baking dish place a layer of eggplant slices, then a layer of the sauce, and then a layer of mozzarella. Keep repeating you use all the ingredients. Add grated parmesan to the top and bake for 20 minutes.
Thanks for visiting,